A collection of 3,000 Napoleonic memorabilia, which its original owner, Dawson, described as ‘the only great Napoleonic collection in the world’.
Donated by Thomas Dawson in 1868 the collection consists of some 3,000 black and white and coloured prints, engravings, sketches etc. with some printed material dated from 1770 to 1840. It covers the French Revolution, Napoleon’s rise and fall, the struggle with Britain and the allies and the Restoration of the Monarchy in France.
The collection is made up of 13 volumes – a detailed catalogue, with the full particulars of each print, can be viewed at the Library.