Elizabeth Treffry Collection: Formal handover by Hypatia Trust
August 22 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pmFree
The Elizabeth Treffry Collection (ETC) contains over 3000 books and artifacts that document the lives and works of women in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
Its strengths are in 19th and 20th century art and literature. The core collection comprises works by women about Cornwall and Scilly; about women from Cornwall and Scilly; and works on other subjects by women from, or influenced by, Cornwall and Scilly.
The collection spans fiction and non-fiction works and it will play an essential part in rebalancing narratives about Cornish and Scillonian history and literature. ETC is an exemplar project for recording, researching, preserving and promoting women’s heritage in other under-represented regions of the world and will encourage replication. We also hope that improved access to such collections will provide young women and girls with the historical role models they need to feel confident and to achieve their potential.
The objectives of the Elizabeth Treffry Collection:
- To honour women’s achievements in Cornwall and Scilly by knowing their histories
- To remember women’s lives spent in Cornwall and Scilly and tell their stories
- To support women’s creativity nurtured in Cornwall and Scilly by supporting their interests
- To create role models for women in Cornwall and Scilly in work, play and at home
- To record, promote and freely share women’s histories in a new public home and online